The IFLA ISBD Review Group is pleased to announce the release of the 2021 Update to the 2011 Consolidated Edition of the ISBD.
The 2021 Update is the first release since the publication of the 2011 Consolidated Edition of the ISBD. It extends the coverage of the ISBD to a larger array of resources and brings more organization and refinements to the description of some types of resources.
The developments made in the 2021 Update of the ISBD:
• extend the content of the ISBD to encompass unpublished resources with focus on the manuscripts
• optimize the ability of ISBD for granular description by integrating stipulations for the application of the ISBD to the description of component parts
• bring more harmonization and clarity to the stipulations of cartographic resources, and enhance the description of astronomical cartographic resources
• introduce new elements in appropriate areas and in the glossary as required
• add examples in several languages to the new stipulations to support implementation by the users of the standard
The 2021 Update to the 2011 Consolidated Edition of the ISBD is the result of two years of intensive work by the Content Update Task Force of the ISBD Review Group. It has been developed as an updating revision of the ISBD that takes into account 10 years of proposals by communities of users and their cataloguing needs since the publication of the 2011 edition. Its development brings together the energies and expertise of senior members of the ISBD Review Group and external experts from specialized institutions and learned societies for special formats (i.e. manuscripts and maps); with the full membership in the Content Update Task Force of liaisons from the IFLA Rare Books and Special Collections Section (RBSCS).
Awaiting final endorsement in February 2022, the 2021 Update was released as a draft in December 2021, in which additions and modifications to the 2011 Consolidated Edition are marked in red prints.
In compliance with IFLA HQ requirements for published documents, red prints were removed in this official edition of the 2021 Update.
IFLA ISBD Review Group, Chair
To stay updated about ISBD revision works and the ISBD Review Group activities, subscribe to firstname.lastname@example.org