Call for Papers
Social Science Libraries Section
Theme: Libraries and social movements: a force for change. Click on the Theme highlighted above for English, Arabic, Chinese, German, French and Russian language Call for Papers for this program. Or,
العربية | 中文 | Deutsch | Español | français | Русский are available at: http://conference.ifla.org/ifla79/calls-for-papers/libraries-and-social-movements-force-for-change
The IFLA Social Sciences Libraries Section is seeking proposals for papers to be presented at a two-hour program to be held at the IFLA World Library and Information Congress in Singapore in August 17-23, 2013.
We request submissions related to libraries and their roles working with communities to support, engage and document social movements.
All aspects of this topic will be considered, including:
- how libraries support social movements,
- how they preserve/document social movements,
- how the ability to digitize has affected this role,
- how they provide access to information to support social change.
Examples of paper topics include papers that discuss libraries and their roles in the recent social movements in the Arab world, the Occupy movement around the world, local community work, and others. We prefer submissions that demonstrate real experiences/case studies – papers that tell a story. Papers presenting historical perspectives will also be considered.
The program will feature up to five presentations of 15-20 minutes each with additional time for questions.
Papers should reflect the 2013 conference theme, “Future Libraries: Infinite Possibilities” and IFLA President Ingrid Parent’s theme, “Libraries – A force for change.”
Language of the session
Papers should be in one of the IFLA official languages. The session will not include simultaneous interpretation, therefore the presentation and presentation slides should be in English.
Send proposals via email to:firstname.lastname@example.org Liz Cooper Chair, Social Sciences Libraries Section
- February 28, 2013: Deadline to submit proposals/abstracts. Proposals should include:
- abstract of no more than 300 words
- brief biography for the speaker or speakers
- Email contact address
- March 18, 2013: Proposals will be reviewed and successful candidates will be notified.
- May 17, 2013: Deadline for selected presenters to submit formal paper (for inclusion on the IFLA conference website and the Section’s website). Details regarding the format and length of the final paper will be sent to candidates whose abstracts are accepted.
All proposals must be in before 28 February 2013.
All expenses, including registration for the conference, travel, accommodation etc., are the responsibility of the authors/presenters. No financial support can be provided by IFLA, but a special invitation can be issued to authors.
Congress Attendance Grants
The Singapore National Committee and IFLA have worked hard to securefunds for Conference Participation Grants. Up-to-date information will be available on our Conference Participation Grants webpage.