September 8 is International Literacy Day.
Here is the link to International Literacy Day, which is organized by UNESCO:
http://www.unesco.org/new/unesco/events/prizes-and-celebrations/celebrations/international-days/literacy-day/ UNESCO has chosen “Literacies for the 21st Century” as their theme for this year’s International Literacy Day (ILD), an annual event established by the organization in 1965 to focus attention on worldwide literacy needs.
When students possess relevant, contemporary literacy skills, they are not only able to dream big, they’re equipped to achieve those dreams. That’s why we’ve put together an “Invent Your Future” celebration for ILD 2013 complete with classroom activities, freebies for teachers, and a tablet contest. We’re also hosting an #ILD13 Twitter chat on September 9th at 8 p.m. EST. (Join using the hashtag #IRAchat.)
An Australian writer, Susan Stephenson, provides some ideas for celebrating literacy on this important day with the children in schools: http://www.thebookchook.com/2013/08/lets-celebrate-international-literacy.html .
For your information, Susan has two websites: www.thebookchook.com and www.susanstephenson.com.au
As a new school year begins, the International Reading Association (IRA) announces a special International Literacy Day (ILD) celebration focusing on career readiness. IRA adopted the “Invent Your Future” theme for the 2013 celebration in conjunction with Sony Pictures Animation’s upcoming Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2, which will be released in 3D and Real 3D on September 27. The goal? To inspire students to dream big about their future—just like inventor Flint Lockwood, the main character of the film—and illustrate the role literacy skills play in achieving those dreams. To join the celebration:
- Download the classroom activity kit for ages 5-15+ accessible through Sony Pictures Animation’s site, www.Cloudy2LiteracyActivities.com.
- Share your ILD plans and photos on Twitter and Instagram using the #ILD13 hashtag.
- Participate in the “Invent Your Future”-themed Twitter chat on September 9 at 8:00 p.m. EST, featuring special guest Bill Hader (the Saturday Night Live alum and comedian who voices Cloudy 2‘s Flint Lockwood), using the hashtag #IRAchat.
- Enter to win a Sony Xperia tablet (retail value: $499) by submitting your ILD stories, photos, and videos via the official registration form at www.reading.org/ILD13contest between September 10-30.
- Receive a free copy of the original Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs book by Judi Barrett and Ron Barrett, courtesy of Simon & Schuster—available for the first 150 teachers who sign up at www.Cloudy2LiteracyActivities.com.
- Request free Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 movie posters and activity books at www.Cloudy2LiteracyActivities.com.